Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Be Happy

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer someone else up." Mark Twain

What a happy thought this is... I can really appreciate it.  It is such a pleasant feeling when you make someone smile, laugh or otherwise take a burden off their shoulders with a listening ear or a sympathetic look or a shoulder to cry on... sometimes words are not even necessary.  It is easy to be this for our loved ones and friends, but what about that stranger in line behind you in the grocery store?  The other day I was shopping with some friends and an older gentleman approached me and asked if I was Amish or Mennonite.  I told him I was Mennonite and smiled at him.  His eyes seemed to sparkle and light up when I smiled.  He went on to tell me he was from Pennsylvania and he had made many Amish friends while there and that since then he had come to know the Lord as his own personal Savior. We went on to talk about how good the Lord is and what Jesus had done for each of us... it was a blessing I hope to him as much as it was to me.   Yes I was in a bit of a hurry and I probally wouldn't have made a go with a conversation on my own... but I want my heart to always be open to talking about all the good things the Lord has done for me in any and all situations. 

Until next time,
Jean 

No comments:

Post a Comment