Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kindness Begets Kindness

"Never lose a chance of saying a kind word."  William Makepeace Thackeray

Have you ever been in line at the grocery store, or at a park sitting on the bench or just going for a walk and someone asks you a question?  I am sure everyone reading this can say a hardy yes! It may be an elderly person, a small child, or a busy mom.  You are kind of having a not so hot day and you are really not in the mood to be 'sociable'. You have two choices~ either snub your noes and give a curt, short answer or put on a smile and answer cheerfully and make small talk.  It can make all the difference in your day as well as that persons.

As a professing Christian I try to show the latter, but believe me I have failed more often than I care to confess.  But you know what, there isn't always going to be another day, another chance to do the kind deed or make things right.  Everyday is a new day, but even when we don't feel like being nice, we need to try, try with all our might.  I need to be constantly on guard for an opportunity to show Christ's love and be that light to a sad person.  I need to be an example for my children to see how Christ's love can shine a light through me to those around.  A wise dear old friend has a sign in her bathroom that reads, "More is caught than taught."  A kind word can never be mistook and it won't quickly be forgotten.

Until next time,
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment