Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Irony of Death

This past week I experienced three deaths. The first being a stranger and the other two friends. I've had a really hard time pulling this together... When it came to me I was driving and I had the whole thing in my mind... I wish I had had a notebook. Often writings here are happy and jovial... maybe that's why this is so hard for me... I have something to say... but it's too close... the pain that is.

The first death was the one earlier in the week... it was an unexpected tragedy that this mans friends and family members were all of a sudden handed to deal with. Friday morning I got a message that a friend who had been battling cancer passed away the day before... then Saturday morning a message of yet another. The two latter were anticipated to some degree. Yes, hope was there for healing and for a time there was... but this monster defeated these two dear ladies in the end.  Although my friends loved ones were able to say good bye, there is still the pain that they are left to deal with. 

There is not just physical death though... there are deaths of relationships as well. I would venture to say that many of us have in one way or another experienced at least one.  These too can be sudden or long and drawn out...  and just as painful...

Relationships like healing take work, hard work.  They take the efforts of all involved...kindness, love, patience and long suffering need to be in place.  Sometimes those hurts have been buried for a long time, festering underneath causing disturbances along life's path. Having never been properly dealt with they seem to continually creep into our lives.  Then there are those sudden loses that leave you wondering what happened.  Either way, pain is involved.

As those deaths rise up in my life, whether physical or relational, I must keep my focus on a higher calling... a calling that when life ends I will hear those blessed words, 'Well done my faithful servant, enter thou into the joys of the Lord..."

Until next time,
Jean

   

No comments:

Post a Comment