Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Expectations Of Faith



"True faith is never found alone; it is always accompanied by expectation. The man who believes the promises of God expects to see them fulfilled. Where there is no expectation there is no faith."  -Tozer

I'm a coffee drinker... a serious coffee drinker. I wake up in faith expecting to get my coffee brewing.The other morning my coffee maker died- a sad ordeal for me.  All of us wake up with expectations. My little Evan and Aaron expect some snuggle time while the older children expect breakfast. We get up and dressed to start our day expecting to accomplish a slew of projects we've jotted down in our day planner. We jump into our vehicle turning the key expecting the motor to turn over and the engine to start purring...and off we go!  Basic 'life' stuff here!

There are expectations in relationships- honesty, unconditional love, respect and understanding to name a few. These hold true for our marriages, friendships and with our children. The expectations of parenting are so deeply rooted in faith. 'Wherein doth thou faith lie?' you ask. It lies in believing that what we have set out to do in love will reap something positive... we believe in faith that all the efforts we have put into raising these children will not be in vain. This is what motivates us to keep pressing on even when it seems like... like it's just going nowhere. We have faith that someday they will mature to the point of understanding parents are humans with limitations... we make mistakes... say things we regret... but despite all of this...we love them with every ounce of our being...

 Are my expectations realistic?  Do they fit in with the purpose that the Lord has for my life and my children's? Do I have the faith in Him to trust that He will care for me and them no matter what the storms of life deal us?

I hardly felt I had anything to add to this quote, yet my heart was flooded with this feeling that I knew it had to be shared here...  May you expect your faith to be fulfilled through your expectations of a faithful Father....


...my faith looks up to Thee,
Until next time,
Jean

   

No comments:

Post a Comment